Printer Friendly Biography
Accreditations and Certifications:
Lester Perling P.A.
Mr. Lester J. Perling is a Partner in the Fort Lauderdale office of Broad and Cassel. He is a member of the Firm's Health Law and White Collar Civil and Criminal Fraud Defense Practice Groups.
- Mr. Perling is a board-certified health law attorney with extensive experience as a health care executive. He holds a master’s degree in Health Care Administration. He has had significant experience with Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement and fraud and abuse issues, privacy of health care information (HIPAA), federal and state administrative proceedings, provider operations issues, corporate compliance programs, physician credentialing, transactions between health care providers, and related matters for health care providers.
- Mr. Perling had more than 10 years of experience as a health care executive. He held various administrative positions, including Chief Executive Officer, with investor-owned and community hospitals of all types.
- Mr. Perling is a member of the Adjunct Faculty at Florida Atlantic University and teaches health law in its Health Care MBA program. Mr. Perling has also taught courses at Florida Atlantic University and Nova Southeastern University, School of Business and Entrepreneurship in provider group practice dynamics, fraud and abuse, and risk management.
- He is a frequent national author and lecturer on various health law and health management topics. Mr. Perling’s many published works include: "Medicare Claims Appeals Process Handbook," a step by step guide to the appeals process published by Aspen Publishers; "Overview of the Medicare Parts A & B Claims Appeal Process" Chapter in 2009 Medicare and Medicaid Reimbursement Update published by Aspen Publishing and edited by Andrew D. Ruskin; and “Health Care: Whistleblowers Get More Power” article in a June 2009 issue of the National Law Journal.
- Mr. Perling was recognized with an AV® Peer Review Rating with Martindale-Hubbell, the agency's highest mark for both competency and ethics and is achieved by only 5 percent of attorneys. Mr. Perling was also designated a "Florida Super Lawyer" by Law & Politics magazine for six consecutive years, recognized in 2006-2012 by Chambers USA: A Guide to America’s Leading Business Lawyers in Healthcare, recognized in 2008-2013 by the top legal guide "The Best Lawyers in America," published by Woodward and White and designated a 2009, 2010 and 2011 "Legal Elite" by Florida Trend magazine.
- Mr. Perling is Past Chair of The Florida Bar’s Health Law Section and Health Law Certification Committee
Honors and Awards
Designated "Florida Legal Elite" in Florida Trend Magazine, 2009 , 2010 and 2011
Recognized in "The Best Lawyers in America®" for appellate law, 2008 and 2009, and health care law, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013
Chambers USA: A Guide to America’s Leading Business Lawyers - Healthcare attorney, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012
"Florida Super Lawyer" by Law & Politics magazine, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012
Achieved AV® Peer Review Rating with Martindale-Hubbell
Overview of the Medicare Parts A & B Claims Appeal Process
2009 Medicare and Medicaid Reimbursement Update
Health Care: Whistleblowers Get More Power
National Law Journal
Medicare Claims Appeals Process Handbook
"Using Statistical Sampling to Challenge Medicare Overpayments and to Assist Compliance Efforts," in Monitoring and Auditing Practices for Effective Compliance
John Steiner, Sr., Ed., Health Law Compliance Association
"Regulations Against Self-referral are Facing Overhaul"
The Business Journal
February 9-15, 2001
"New Sampling Guidelines. Will challenging Overpayments be Tougher"
BNA's Medicare Report
January 26, 2001
Statistical Sampling in the Medicare Program: Challenging its Use
with Michael D. Intriligator, Ph.D., American Health Lawyers Association
"The Stark Law: Enforcement May be Just Around the Corner"
Health Care Fraud and Abuse Newsletter, Leader Publications
Statistical Sampling in Medicare and Medicaid Overpayment Cases: A Defense Worth Pursuing
Dennis Barry's Reimbursement Advisor, Aspen Publishing
Gainsharing: A Concept Whose Time Has Come?
Health Care Law Monthly
Challenges Facing Hospital-Owned Physician Practices Under the DRG Three-Day Payment Window
Report on Medicare Compliance, Atlantic Information Services, Inc.
June 30, 1997
"Corporate Compliance Programs
Legaletter, Florida Hospital Association
December 11, 1995
Health Care Advance Directives: Implications for Florida Mental Health Patients
48 University of Miami Law Review 193