Printer Friendly Biography
Accreditations and Certifications:
Daniel S. Newman P.A.
Mr. Daniel Newman is a Partner in the Miami office of Broad and Cassel. He is a member of the Firm’s Commercial Litigation, Construction Law and Litigation, Corporate and Securities and White Collar Defense and Compliance Practice Groups.
- Mr. Newman is an experienced litigator of complex commercial, securities and construction matters in state and federal courts and before various arbitration forums.
- Mr. Newman holds an AV Preeminent® rating with Martindale-Hubbell, a rating achieved by only 5 percent of attorneys. He has also been designated a "Florida Super Lawyer" by Super Lawyers magazine in 2006-2007 and 2009-2016 and a "Florida Legal Elite" in Florida Trend Magazine by his peers in 2008, 2009, 2011-2016. He was recognized in "The Best Lawyers in America®" for Securities Regulation and Commercial Litigation in 2013-2017.
- He was honored as a 2014 "Leader in Law" for Securities Law by Lifestyle Publications.
- Mr. Newman began his career as an attorney with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission's (SEC) New York Regional Office, where he worked in the Division of Enforcement. In that position, he had responsibility for the investigation and civil prosecution of violations of the federal securities laws.
- Mr. Newman represents both plaintiffs and defendants in a variety of business and securities-related litigations, including commercial torts, contracts, shareholder derivative actions, class actions and common law and statutory securities fraud actions.
- Mr. Newman represents individuals and entities in connection with investigations and litigation initiated by the SEC, the CFTC, FINRA and state securities regulators.
- Mr. Newman also represents entities, officers and directors in connection with corporate internal investigations.
- Mr. Newman currently serves as receiver for several entities prosecuted by the SEC for engaging in securities fraud in which his efforts are concentrated on recovery for defrauded investors. He also has served and continues to serve as counsel to receivers.
- Mr. Newman has also represented owners, developers and contractors in connection with a broad variety of construction litigation matters, including defects and delay and project scheduling and administration.
Represented a CFO in one of the first Sarbanes-Oxley officer certification cases prosecuted by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
Defended Florida City in an SEC proceeding that alleged securities fraud in connection with three of the City's municipal bond offerings.
Defended one of the country's largest broker-dealers in a defamation action brought by a former broker.
Defended a public Company and its wholly owned subsidiary against multi-million dollar claims for wrongful termination and tortuous interference.
Defended brokerage firm from customer claims in connection with the sale of structured and other proprietary products.
Defended certified public accounting firm against class action claims alleging securities fraud.
Defended broker dealer in connection with regulatory investigation into mark-ups.
Currently serving as Receiver over the management company and related hedge funds in connection with a securities fraud with claimed losses alleged to be in excess of $500 million. In connection with this action, Mr. Newman was responsible to oversee a several hundred million dollar transaction, resulting in the formation of a new health care holding entity and subsequent court-approved distribution of interests in that entity. Mr. Newman served as the Chairman of the Board for the newly formed entity.
Served as Receiver over Boca Raton, Florida company that engaged in illegal sale of securities in oil and gas limited partnerships.
Mr. Newman was part of a Broad and Cassel team involved in complex litigation arising from a multi-billion dollar airport terminal which resulted in over $100 million in claims arising from design defects, construction failures and project administration and schedule issues.
Mr. Newman served for four years as an adjunct faculty member at the Nova Southeastern Shepard Broad Law Center, teaching a course focused on litigation skills. He is a frequent speaker at conferences and seminars on issues relating to litigation and securities. He is active in the community and has coached several youth sports, including hockey and soccer.
- Mr. Newman has worked on many notable cases, including:
- Represented Plaintiff business investors in action alleging claims against day trading firm and its successors in interest, for fraud, conversion and breach of contract.
Honors and Awards
Recognized in "The Best Lawyers in America®" for commercial litigation and securities regulation, 2013-2017
"Florida Legal Elite" in Commercial Litigation, 2008, 2009, 2011 - 2016
"Florida Super Lawyer" by Super Lawyers magazine, 2006, 2007, 2009 - 2016
Achieved AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating with Martindale-Hubbell