Printer Friendly Biography
Accreditations and Certifications:
Daniel Newman P.A.
Mr. Daniel Newman is a Partner in the Miami office of Broad and Cassel. He is a member of the Firm’s Commercial Litigation, Construction Law and Litigation and Corporate and Securities Practice Groups.
- Mr. Newman specializes in complex commercial, securities and construction litigation in state and federal courts and in arbitrations.
- Mr. Newman holds an AV rating with Martindale-Hubbell, a rating achieved by only 5 percent of attorneys. He has also been designated a "Florida Super Lawyer" by Law & Politics magazine in 2006 - 2012 and a "Florida Legal Elite" in Florida Trend Magazine by his peers in 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2012. He was recognized in "The Best Lawyers in America®" for Securities Regulation in 2013.
- Mr. Newman began his career as an attorney with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission's (SEC) New York Regional Office, where he worked in the Division of Enforcement.
- Mr. Newman represents both plaintiffs and defendants in a variety of business and securities-related litigations, including commercial torts, contracts, shareholder derivative actions, class actions and common law and statutory securities fraud actions.
- Mr. Newman also currently serves as receiver for several entities prosecuted by the SEC for engaging in securities fraud in which his efforts are concentrated on recovery for defrauded investors. He also has served as counsel to several receivers.
- Mr. Newman also represents individuals in connection with investigations and actions initiated by the SEC, FINRA and state securities regulators.
- Mr. Newman has represented owners, developers and contractors in connection with a broad variety of construction litigation matters, including defects and delay and project scheduling and administration.
- Most recently, Mr. Newman was part of a Broad and Cassel team involved in complex litigation arising from a multi-billion dollar airport terminal which resulted in over $100 million in claims arising from design defects, construction failures and project administration and schedule issues.
Represented a CFO in one of the first Sarbanes-Oxley officer certification cases prosecuted by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
Defended Florida City in an SEC proceeding that alleged securities fraud in connection with three of the City's municipal bond offerings.
Defended one of the country's largest broker-dealers in a defamation action brought by a former broker.
Defended a public Company and its wholly owned subsidiary against multi-million dollar claims for wrongful termination and tortuous interference.
Defended brokerage firm in connection with the sale of structured products.
Defended certified public accounting firm against class action claims alleging securities fraud.
Currently serving as Receiver over the management company and related hedge funds in connection with a securities fraud with claimed losses alleged to be in excess of $500 million.
Currently serving as Receiver over Boca Raton, Florida company that engaged in illegal sale of securities in oil and gas limited partnerships.
Mr. Newman served for four years as an adjunct faculty member at the Nova Southeastern Shepard Broad Law Center, teaching a course focused on litigation skills. He is active in the community and has coached several youth sports, including hockey and soccer.
- Mr. Newman has worked on many notable cases, including:
- Represented Plaintiff investors in day trading firm in an action alleging claims against day trading firm and its successors in interest, for fraud, conversion and breach of contract.
Honors and Awards
"Florida Legal Elite" in Commercial Litigation, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012
"Florida Super Lawyer" by Law & Politics magazine, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
Achieved AV® Peer Review Rating with Martindale-Hubbell
Recognized in "The Best Lawyers in America®" for securities regulation, 2013