ORLANDO, Fla. (June 16, 2017) — For the seventh year in a row, the Health Law Practice Group at Florida-based law firm Broad and Cassel LLP has once again received top honors within Florida by prominent legal guide Chambers USA: A Guide to America’s Leading Business Lawyers. The firm’s practice group was one of just two receiving a Band One ranking in the state, the highest ranking awarded by Chambers USA.
All told, the firm’s nationally recognized group saw the ranking of six individual attorneys, more than any other firm in the state, in addition to the group’s collective Band One ranking. Ranked attorneys include Managing Partner Gabriel Imperato, Partner Mike Segal, Partner Michael Bittman, Partner Lester Perling, Partner Stephanie Russo, and Of Counsel Stephen Siegel. Imperato, one of the group’s leading attorneys, received national recognition in health care, ranking among the best in the country for his work in health care regulatory and litigation.
Additionally, Chambers USA honored nine attorneys from across the state with a Band One ranking for health care experience and reputation in Florida. Broad and Cassel had three attorneys receive that ranking, Imperato, Partner Lester Perling and Partner Mike Segal, more than any other law firm in the state.
In total, the 2017 edition highlights 24 Broad and Cassel attorneys as leaders in their respective fields, while the firm is listed as among the best in seven statewide practice areas.
The following are health care-related excerpts of the 2017 Chambers USA commentary:
Health Law Practice Overview:
Highly regarded team handling regulatory compliance work, including internal investigations and fraud and abuse issues. Frequently represents providers during litigation and disputes with governmental agencies. Also well versed in complex transactional matters on behalf of large physician groups. Clients describe the team’s service as “exceptional” and explain: “I find them to be far superior in terms of performance, efficiency and being solution-oriented.”
- Managing Partner Gabriel Imperato commands respect among industry peers, who say: “He has a thorough understanding of the regulatory scheme and he’s just very good.” He handles a variety of white-collar defense work as well as corporate governance and compliance issues relating to healthcare.
- Partner Mike Segal is able to quickly drill down into matters, according to commentators, one of whom states: “He understands more quickly than almost anybody I’ve ever dealt with what the major issues are. He can provide a quick answer on something that might take somebody else days to look at.” He is well versed in a range of operational, regulatory and transactional healthcare issues.
- Partner Michael Bittman is praised by sources for his “diverse background in healthcare,” which spans compliance, white-collar defense and broader health law issues. His clients include hospitals, physicians and physician groups.
- Partner Lester Perling has extensive healthcare experience across a wide range of areas including regulatory, transactional and privacy matters. Clients “find him exceptional in his broad base of knowledge and his ability to put things in the context of statute regulations.” Peers consistently praise his depth of knowledge and describe him as “very smart” and a “really fine lawyer.”
- Partner Stephanie Russo is a respected healthcare practitioner called in by clients on litigation and compliance issues. Her expertise includes medical staffing, credentialing and peer review matters. She also has experience advising clients on government investigations and privacy work.
- Of Counsel Stephen Siegel is described as “a pillar of the healthcare arena.” He is also praised for being “well versed in the legislative and regulatory issues impacting healthcare clients.”
Additionally, Partner Frank Terzo received praise for his work in Bankruptcy/Restructuring. One interviewee avers that Terzo “understands insolvency better than anyone I’ve ever met.” He is particularly well regarded for his work in the healthcare sector.
The Chambers USA: A Guide to America’s Leading Business Lawyers, is an independent, objective, research-based legal directory, and the culmination of thousands of in-depth interviews. Attorneys and law firms are selected for inclusion by strong recommendations from the market as well as according to reputation and recent work done.
Broad and Cassel has built one of the most experienced and diversified Health Law Practice Groups in the Southeastern United States. The firm has more lawyers certified in Health Law by the Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization & Education than any other firm. Several of the firm’s health lawyers are certified by the Health Care Compliance Association in Health Care Compliance and are Certified Dispute Resolvers with the American Health Lawyers Association.
The Health Law Practice Group also continues to expand its capabilities with the addition of key hires, such as Partners Frank Terzo and Michael Lessne. The addition of Terzo and Lessne in March bolstered the firm’s health law and bankruptcy practice groups while creating a new health care insolvency service for the firm.
Broad and Cassel’s health lawyers are widely published and frequently make presentations at leading educational programs throughout the country. The group will host its seventh annual South Florida Health Forum in Fort Lauderdale this fall. Information on the firm’s health law events and industry and attorney news can be found on Broad and Cassel’s Health Law Blog at www.healthlawfla.com or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/healthlawfla.