“Broad and Cassel offers an incredible depth of knowledge and resources to clients. All the attorneys we worked with were incredibly knowledgeable about the industry and industry trends.” – Chambers USA, 2017
Broad and Cassel’s Real Estate Practice Group provides a robust array of services with expertise in just about every facet of the real estate industry. Broad and Cassel was recognized as a Leading Real Estate Law Firm by Multi-Housing News, listed in the top 20 firms nationwide.
The Firm’s capabilities include:
- Buyer, seller, developer, borrower and lender representation in all types of real estate and business transactions
- Lender and borrower representation in virtually every conceivable lending transaction
- Loan modifications, restructuring and workouts on behalf of lenders and borrowers for all types of loan arrangements
- Joint ventures between developers and financial institutions, hedge funds, family offices and other equity providers for all types of real estate development
- Representation of individuals and developers in handling all types of acquisition and ownership arrangements
- Long term leasing, air-rights agreements, licensing and easements and other complex real estate use arrangements
Notable experience includes:
- Representation of the master developer and its affiliates in all aspects of a 7,000 acre mixed-use development of regional impact (DRI). This included the development of a 650-acre health and life sciences park as a landmark for Orlando and a premier location for medical care, research and education.
- Represented an institutional client in the purchase of a large affordable housing portfolio, with a total deal value of $600,000,000. The transaction closed in multiple tranches, the first of which occurred in late Dec 2017. Subsequent tranches closed in 1st quarter 2018.
- Served as local counsel on a multistate pooled security financing with a mortgage purchasing corporation in an amount of $300,000,000.
- Handled a $107,000,000 acquisition and construction project for a high-rise mixed use multifamily and retail project of 330 units located in South Florida, for a major national residential apartment owner. Financed with a construction loan from a national bank and equity investors.
- Assisted a major real estate company with the $94,000,000 sale of a several hundred unit multi-family residential apartment community located on the West Coast of Florida.
- Represented an institutional client with closing on two office facilities located on Florida’s West Coast for $143,100,000. The team negotiated the PSA with the seller and acted as title agent.
- Represented a master developer of a mixed-use commercial development which will consist of a residential apartment building, multi-story parking garage, a hotel, retail spaces, an upscale restaurant and an open space/ park component. The client purchased a portion of the property from the city and ground leased the remaining portion from the local redevelopment agency. As part of the transaction, the team negotiated the transaction documentation with both the city and the client’s hotel partner developer and apartment complex developer, which documentation included the applicable development agreements, declaration of covenants and restrictions, the ground lease and all other relevant development documentation.
- Represented a Florida-based multi-family real estate developer in a joint venture with a capital management company for the acquisition of property located in South Florida, and related construction loan with a bank for the development of a $36,150,000 multi-family project.
- Represented a real estate development company in the conveyance of three parcels being developed with residential lots to an affiliate, the closing of a $14,850,000 development and construction loan and the closing of the first lot sale in the client’s master planned community located in Florida. The team negotiated the loan documents, successfully closed the transactions, and prepared the community association documents and associated development matters.
- Represented a tenant in the successful negotiation of a 7.5 year warehouse, distribution and office facility lease for 85,000+ square feet of space.
- Represented a local real estate developer in connection with the leasing of commercial property located in New York City to a tenant with plans to renovate the property, a former gas station, on which the tenant is to operate a national food and beverage franchise. The transaction involved the review of documentation relating to ongoing environmental remediation of petroleum contamination at the site by the former tenant, a Fortune 100 national oil company; the preparation and negotiation of a long-term lease; the review and negotiation of documentation required to be executed by the landlord, the tenant and the franchisor; and the review of local zoning and permitting requirements.
- Representation of a real estate investment trust (REIT) in the acquisition of a senior housing portfolio comprised of multiple, nation-wide assisted living facilities valued over $245 million.
- Representation of a public agency with respect to the planning, acquisition and development of several major roadway projects in Central Florida. These projects included the negotiation and acquisition of hundreds of parcels valued at more than $100 million.
- Ongoing representation of a major national developer specializing in the acquisition, development, management, brokerage and sale of U.S. real estate properties, especially multi-family projects, in association with foreign investors.
- Representation of a Florida-based medical office developer in multiple asset sale portfolio transactions involving several national healthcare REITs.
- Representation as local Florida counsel to the developers of a student housing project in Tallahassee. Broad and Cassel closed the entire parcel assemblage, the construction loan and, upon completion, the permanent refinancing transaction. Our attorneys also assisted the client in closing each parcel of land and worked with the applicable lenders, surveyors and title underwriters to complete all project transactions from start to finish.
- Representation of a Palm Beach County, Florida real estate developer in the several transactions, including the acquisition and financing of an apartment building, the defeasance of its existing loan and closing of its new loan for a commercial shopping center and in the refinance of a loan for condominium units.
- Ongoing representation of a North Florida real estate development, asset management and operating company in innumerable multi-million dollar transactions, including timberland sales ranging from 13,000 acres to 30,000 acres.
- Representation of developers in connection approximately 3 million square feet of office and retail space, including a 735,000 square foot office building located on Florida’s west coast. Broad and Cassel drafted and negotiated all leases.
Chamber USA Testimonials:
“Incredibly well-qualified team.”– Chambers USA 2018
“They are very business-oriented, they understand the business goals in each deal and they don’t over-lawyer any transaction or document. They have a deep knowledge of the real estate industry.” – Chambers USA 2017
“Excellent! The team works well and communicates effectively.” – Chambers USA 2016
“Excellent lawyers doing good work.” – Chambers USA 2016
“A group of knowledgeable attorneys who are calm and precise in their decision making.” – Chambers USA 2010
“Clients note a holistic approach to their needs, which sees the group take into account the financial and regulatory aspects of a deal, not just purely transactional issues.” – Chambers USA 2009